Canal Square Apartments | Apartments in 359 N West St - Indianapolis IN - Reviews - Photos

Sergio Blanco-Herrera
It is a good place to live if you are an IUPUI STUDENT. Super close to campus and the complex is very safe. It is pricy, so be ready to dish out a good amount on rent. The only downside is that parking is not included and they charge 70-80 for it.
Anon Y
Main issues: the apartment shakin…g. It felt like an earthquake in my apartment every few nights, shook me up and scared me so bad. My heavy wood dresser would shake with the walls. My light fixtures and dishes shook at least once an hour....this continued until 4 AM every night. Also you can hear the neighbors engaging in some sort of pornography (had to pay extra electricity to keep a permanent fan working on that side).
I had to rent an office downtown to quell my poor ears and to avoid migraines just to get some work done. Yay, further waste of money on top of paying for this horrid apartment. No microwave incl and the fridge, stove, cabinets are super old and dirty, material is from the 80s (they don't clean the sides of the cabinet when you move in so you'll find a bunch of gunk and old food there). Icebox of fridge doesn't work. One window doesn't open, the other one is really hard to open. Very hard to get ventilation. Also found a ton of mold on top of the cabinets.
The office consistently would hold onto my mail for 2+ weeks and not tell me, leave a notice, or anything (I visited the post office looking for a piece of expedited mail that we paid a premium to have delivered quickly only to find it was "lost" in the office for 2 weeks!) This happened at least 5 or 6 times.
Management doesn't care, as long as you've paid rent. And God forbid they don't cash the check correctly and don't get the rent within 5 days, they will try to charge you like a 200 dollar late fee.(??) Courtesy officer doesn't ever respond (I've left 4 messages on 4 different occasions), maint request was canceled without visiting. I don't even bother to submit maint requests because I know that's a waste of time. I was afraid my car would be hit one day because the car parked next to me was always on the line and it's super tight. The tenants and the staff are just rude and arrogant. Oh yeah, there's a nasty house centipede invasion going on as well. The gates consistently stick and I've been stuck without a way to get into the spot I'm paying $90 a month for (had to park my car on the side of the road once and constantly check that it wasn't towed until they could fix their stupid gate at like 11 at night...like who has time for that.).
Despite this, I haven't complained once, been impolite, or not paid their ridiculous fees ($5 a day for an extra spot for your mom to help you move in, despite plenty of spaces, 2000+ to move out if you break the lease, 25 dollars if you get locked out--haven't used this, but just an example). I've had to let in tenants who were locked out because the courtesy officer is a jerk who wouldn't let them in (and it was freezing outside)...
What a waste of money. Paying 1000+ dollars for a crappy 400 sq foot box. Seriously, avoid at all costs, there are plenty of better places in Indy where you will get more for your money. Don't let Google maps fool you, if you're coming from out of state. This isn't the closest apartment and you will end up driving anyway because it gets so cold, at that point, the times are all equivalent. more »
Terrible. I stayed for 6 months and had to leave. It's actually not very close to the campus at all (it takes the same amount of time to drive as to walk).
Main issues: the apartment shaking. It felt like an earthquake in my apartment every few nights, shook me up and scared me so bad. My heavy wood dresser would shake with the walls. My light fixtures and dishes shook at least once an hour....this continued until 4 AM every night. Also you can hear the neighbors engaging in some sort of pornography (had to pay extra electricity to keep a permanent fan working on that side).
I had to rent an office downtown to quell my poor ears and to avoid migraines just to get some work done. Yay, further waste of money on top of paying for this horrid apartment. No microwave incl and the fridge, stove, cabinets are super old and dirty, material is from the 80s (they don't clean the sides of the cabinet when you move in so you'll find a bunch of gunk and old food there). Icebox of fridge doesn't work. One window doesn't open, the other one is really hard to open. Very hard to get ventilation. Also found a ton of mold on top of the cabinets.
The office consistently would hold onto my mail for 2+ weeks and not tell me, leave a notice, or anything (I visited the post office looking for a piece of expedited mail that we paid a premium to have delivered quickly only to find it was "lost" in the office for 2 weeks!) This happened at least 5 or 6 times.
Management doesn't care, as long as you've paid rent. And God forbid they don't cash the check correctly and don't get the rent within 5 days, they will try to charge you like a 200 dollar late fee.(??) Courtesy officer doesn't ever respond (I've left 4 messages on 4 different occasions), maint request was canceled without visiting. I don't even bother to submit maint requests because I know that's a waste of time. I was afraid my car would be hit one day because the car parked next to me was always on the line and it's super tight. The tenants and the staff are just rude and arrogant. Oh yeah, there's a nasty house centipede invasion going on as well. The gates consistently stick and I've been stuck without a way to get into the spot I'm paying $90 a month for (had to park my car on the side of the road once and constantly check that it wasn't towed until they could fix their stupid gate at like 11 at night...like who has time for that.).
Despite this, I haven't complained once, been impolite, or not paid their ridiculous fees ($5 a day for an extra spot for your mom to help you move in, despite plenty of spaces, 2000+ to move out if you break the lease, 25 dollars if you get locked out--haven't used this, but just an example). I've had to let in tenants who were locked out because the courtesy officer is a jerk who wouldn't let them in (and it was freezing outside)...
What a waste of money. Paying 1000+ dollars for a crappy 400 sq foot box. Seriously, avoid at all costs, there are plenty of better places in Indy where you will get more for your money. Don't let Google maps fool you, if you're coming from out of state. This isn't the closest apartment and you will end up driving anyway because it gets so cold, at that point, the times are all equivalent.
Christian Page
The front office is very helpful and kind. Maintenance is quick! Beautiful place to stay but for what I pay I feel I deserve a bit more.
Rick H
Canal Square has been a great place to live. I really like being able to walk everywhere downtown in about 15 minutes. The staff at CS has been flawless. They always greet you with a smile and provide a very high level of service. Maintenance has also been great. when I call for work, they are there generally the same (or next) day. I have a great apt with a balcony on the canal and a view of downtown. Couldn't be happier.
Erika Wrobel
Canal Square is an awesome place to live. They have wonderful customer service and are always very willing to accommodate my needs (and I'm pretty needy ). I've lived at Canal Square for almost 2 years now, and I will continue to stay here for the remainder of my time in professional school before I move back home to Chicago. I enjoy the quiet and safe atmosphere that Canal Square offers. Their maintenance team is phenomenal and exceptionally quick to respond to my needs. They are located directly across the street from IUPUI and they are located on the canal. The circle is about a 5 minute walk, so the location is great. I wish I had more time to utilize their awesome gym and pool, maybe one-day! I highly recommend checking out Canal Square if you are looking for a great place to live.
Kathleen Lucas
We have lived in Canal Square for two years. The downtown location is great, and I am still very impressed with the management. They are unfailingly responsive, prompt, and friendly. While the complex is older, the maintenance staff is quick to repair any problems we phone in, usually within hours. Also, when we receive notice of a package having been delivered to the office, they sometimes see me coming down the walk and have it ready before I even get in the door! That kind of service is amazing, given the number of apartments in the complex.
Kristen Kaweck
These apartments are way to expensive for no parking and the small living space. The part that erks me the most is the fact that you have to pay for water AND use quarters to use the washer and dryer. Just doesn't seem fair. The people who work there are very nice and the gym is OKAY. I wish they had more machines, but what can you do. Awesome location.
A Google User
All the good reviews are from 2+ years ago. When I was looking for an apartment I was fooled by the good reviews about the apartment. I moved here several months ago and I regret it everyday 1)Canal Square apartments are very overpriced. This is one of the most expensive apartments in downtown Indy 2) It is very inconvenient to park your car, take your trash out and live here 3)The interiors are very cheap looking and the materials used have the lowest quality in the market 4)The maintenance crew are very irresponsible and they put off orders all the time. You have to beg them to fix something for you and when they come to your apartments the don't take off their dirty shoes and make a mess all over your carpet not to mention they stink very bad 5)The building is highly infested with mice and the management is not willing to do anything about it. Several units (that I know for sure) have mice in their apartments 6)Every morning they wake you up with disturbing noise of emptying the dumpsters...and so many other things that I can go on and on and on. So my advice is to stay away from the corner of New York and West street, it will save yo a lot of money and headache.
McGruff
I want to state that the girls working as rent agents at the front desk are rude, cold, mean, cocky, greedy and un…professional. I went to check out apartment units at canal square apts back in March. I'm from the chicago area. The girls didn't even tell me the rent price of the units I was interested in. Rather, the girl whipped out a diagram of the studio apartment, asked me for an ID card, and then took me on a tour of the apartment unit. When we were done with the tour, we went back to her desk in the front lounge area. Rather than tell me the price of the rent, utility, etc, she just whips out the credit check form, and tells me to pay the downpayment deposit up front. What a way to force people to pay them money. Then after a week, I wanted a refund of my security deposit because I found another BETTER apartment in the north side of town in Carmel. But the girl at the other end of the line told me arrogantly that non of my downpayment is refundable. This canal square place is a crock of sh-t. I have been to other apartment complexes in the Indianapolis area, and they would refund all or most of the downpayment money. I am writing this to warn potential renters about the pricks working as rental agents for canal square apartments. more »
Rude, cold, mean, cocky, unfriendly, greedy girls at the front desk - employees
I want to state that the girls working as rent agents at the front desk are rude, cold, mean, cocky, greedy and unprofessional. I went to check out apartment units at canal square apts back in March. I'm from the chicago area. The girls didn't even tell me the rent price of the units I was interested in. Rather, the girl whipped out a diagram of the studio apartment, asked me for an ID card, and then took me on a tour of the apartment unit. When we were done with the tour, we went back to her desk in the front lounge area. Rather than tell me the price of the rent, utility, etc, she just whips out the credit check form, and tells me to pay the downpayment deposit up front. What a way to force people to pay them money. Then after a week, I wanted a refund of my security deposit because I found another BETTER apartment in the north side of town in Carmel. But the girl at the other end of the line told me arrogantly that non of my downpayment is refundable. This canal square place is a crock of sh-t. I have been to other apartment complexes in the Indianapolis area, and they would refund all or most of the downpayment money. I am writing this to warn potential renters about the pricks working as rental agents for canal square apartments.
McGruff
Rude, cold, mean, cocky, unfriendly, greedy girls at the front desk - employeesI want to state that the girls working as rent agents at the front desk are rude, cold, mean, cocky, greedy and unprofessional. I went to check out apartment units at canal square apts back in March. I'm from the chicago area. The girls didn't even tell me the rent price of the units I was interested in. Rather, the girl whipped out a diagram of the studio apartment, asked me for an ID card, and then took me on a tour of the apartment unit. When we were done with the tour, we went back to her desk in the front lounge area. Rather than tell me the price of the rent, utility, etc, she just whips out the credit check form, and tells me to pay the downpayment deposit up front. What a way to force people to pay them money. Then after a week, I wanted a refund of my security deposit because I found another BETTER apartment in the north side of town in Carmel. But the girl at the other end of the line told me arrogantly that non of my downpayment is refundable. This canal square place is a crock of sh-t. I have been to other apartment complexes in the Indianapolis area, and they would refund all or most of the downpayment money. I am writing this to warn potential renters about the pricks working as rental agents for canal square apartments.
Ihatecrooks
Rude girls/employees working as rent agents - cocky, arrogan – i want to state that I took a tour of canal square apartment in the middle of march. I am moving to Indy to work, so I was looking for potential apartments to rent. I happened to pay a visit to canal square. So I went in, the girl asked me…
McGruff
I want to state right off the bat that the girls working in the front desk area, the rent employees, are rude, cocky, mean, cold and greedy. I want to warn potential renters of canal square apartments to be aware of how these so-called human beings do business with you. They try to push the paperwork on you as soon as you want a tour of the apartment units. Once you sign the paperwork, and pay them the downpayment, you won't be getting a single penny back if you plan on cancelling your rent. Compare this to other apartment complexes in the Indianapolis area, and they would refund you the rent and security deposit portion, except for the money used to run a credit check on you. canal square apt management and the girls are a bunch of crooks. They show you the apartment units, and they don't even discuss the price of the apartment units with you. They think you can't speak English, from another country, so the girls try to f--k you over.
Ihatecrooks
i want to state that I took a tour of canal square apartment in the middle of march. I am moving to Indy to work, so I was looking for potential apartments to rent. I happened to pay a visit to canal square. So I went in, the girl asked me what kind of unit I was interested in. She just whipped out a diagram of the unit I was interested in, took my driver's license, took me on a tour, came back, and just literally sh
Anonymous
The location is just awesome!
Barrett and Stokely
Check us outCheck us out online at www.CanalSquareApartments.comLocated in Downtown Indianapolis acoss from IUPUI Law SchoolMy Photos
I lived at Canal for 3 years and just loved it. The location can't be beat!
Are you a business owner?
See BirdEye in action.
-

See how you appear everywhere online -- across top sites and against competitors
-

Take control of your business. Give it a try for free!
Comments
Post a Comment